Finding a Sublessee
JSM residents are responsible for finding their own sublessees. If you are looking for a sublessee you can place your information on JSM's online sublease referral list - Sublet Your Apartment Request Form. We also suggest you post a listing on Craigslist, Facebook or Reddit, and/or post flyers throughout campus.
Preparing Your Sublease Agreement
- We encourage both current residents and potential sublessees to review all detailed subleasing instructions and forms. This website contains forms required for signing the sublease agreement. Any additional forms can be emailed to residents.
- If you are the current resident, make sure your Sublessee(s) fill out an Online Leasing Application. Each Sublessee must fill out his or her own leasing application. Any sublessee not passing the credit application will not be allowed to sign.
- Sublessee(s) will need to provide a valid photo ID to the JSM office. Acceptable forms of ID include a US Driver’s License, State ID, or Passport. School IDs are not acceptable forms of ID.
- Prior to signing your sublease agreement, the two parties should determine sublease terms. These terms include rent rates, move-in and move-out dates, and security deposit. JSM strongly suggests that current residents take a security deposit of at least $200 per sublessee.
- Once the terms have been decided, the current resident(s) must submit these terms to the JSM office by filling out the online Sublease Information Form . All information on this form is required to complete a sublease agreement. After submitting the form, residents and sublessees will be emailed by a JSM leasing agent within one week of the form being submitted. Residents may also email email@example.com for information.
- If this is a multi-roommate apartment, residents of the apartment will need to complete the Sublease Authorization Form. With this form, those not subleasing indicate which roommates may sublease and to whom. A JSM leasing agent will email this authorization form after the Sublease Information Form has been submitted to the office.
- Make sure your apartment’s account balance is up-to-date. Current residents must pay any outstanding account balance in full before the sublease agreement will be signed.
- A subleasing fee of $50 must be paid. This is a onetime payment due for each sublease agreement.
- If a parking spot is also being subleased, an Agreement to Sublease Parking Space is to be completed by the original space owner and the person to whom the space is being sublet. Copies of the original parking lease may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer sublessee(s) as well as the original residents will need to pay their entire summer rent (May, June and July) to JSM at the time of the signing. Payments can be made with personal check, cashier’s check, money order or online credit or debit card.
After Signing Your Sublease
- Have both parties read the Post-Sublease Checklist below. This contains important reminders for transferring over the apartment and utility services.
- Both parties need to ensure that automatic payments are correct for the duration of the sublease. If a resident has automatic withdrawal they must adjust or cancel payments through the Resident Portal.
- Complete a pre-sublease inspection. JSM advises residents and Sublessee(s) to walk through the apartment and record the condition of the unit prior to the Sublease starting. This information can assist both parties at the end of a sublease should cleaning or maintenance fees be charged. You may request a Sublease Check-In Sheet by emailing email@example.com.
- Original residents should make sure to update their mailing address with the JSM office should their sublease extend to the end of their apartment lease.
Be aware of internet scams! If you receive a personal check from someone, make sure the check clears the bank before signing a document or sending money. Please see this site for examples of internet scams, and report suspicious activity to the Champaign or Urbana police department.
Rent and Utility installments are always due the 1st of each month. Please remember to submit payments on time, and ensure any previously enabled automatic payments are adjusted correctly during your sublease.
Summer Subleases require all remaining payments to be paid prior to sublease completion.
- Current Residents - If you have signed up for automatic withdrawal through Entrata and you would like to cancel or alter the amount deducted, you must do so through the Resident Portal.
- Sublessee - Automatic payments can be set up through the Resident Portal. Recurring payments can be submitted via Credit Card, Debit Card, or e-Check. Please note, online transactions incur service fees. When setting up payments in the Resident Portal, the fee structure is available for reference. You may review your options and select your preferred method of payment.
- Current Residents- If you regularly pay online through the Resident Portal, log on to your account to adjust or cancel any future payments scheduled. If you have not cancelled reoccurring payments through the Resident Portal, your account may continue to be charged the full amount each month during your sublease agreement.
- Sublessee - You can easily pay JSM online through the Resident Portal. Visit the JSM “Make A Payment” webpage to create or log in to your Resident Portal account.
Paying by Check:
Checks and Money Orders should be sent or dropped off at the JSM office located at 616 E. Green, Suite D, Champaign, IL 61820.
*In the memo line of your check, located in the lower left-hand corner, please write your apartment’s building and unit code. This is the abbreviated code for your building’s street address and apartment number. (example: 505 S Fifth St., Apartment #1 would use the code 505F-1).
Ensure that there is no gap in service for your utilities. If you are transferring utilities, have the turn off date for the vacating resident equal the turn on date for the incoming resident. 307 E. Armory, 401 E. Chalmers, 700 S. Gregory, and 701 S. Gregory, do not contact utility companies since these locations pay JSM directly for their utility services.
Contact information for utility companies:
Ameren IP (electric and gas)
(buildings with individually-metered water only)
**If you are unsure if your building is individually metered, please contact the JSM office.
SUBLEASE SECURITY DEPOSIT/ CLEANING:
If a sublease security deposit is paid by the sublessee to the sublessor, both parties should be present to complete, sign and date an “Inventory and Condition Report”. You may request a black copy of this report at the JSM office or email firstname.lastname@example.org to have one emailed to you. Each party should keep a copy for their own records and use the form to determine which damages are to be deducted from the sublessee’s security deposit. Do not submit this form to JSM as we do not return personal sublease security deposits paid to sublessors.
JSM does not clean nor inspect apartments prior to a sublease starting. The apartment is accepted by sublessee as-is, and any pre-sublease cleaning should be arranged/agreed upon by sublessor and sublessee.
Make arrangements to transfer keys, garage remotes, and/or parking permit tags directly from the sublessor to the sublessee.
If the current resident is leaving keys at the JSM office for the sublessee to pick up, please indicate at the front desk that the keys are “for a Sublease” and fill out a sublease key envelope.
Please note that keys may only be picked up at the JSM office during office hours.